Providence Maritime Heritage Foundation based in Providence, RI, operates the Continental Sloop Providence and is seeking crew for the 2007 sailing season, which will include tall ship events in Newport, RI and Halifax, Nova Scotia and beyond.
The Continental Sloop Providence is an historic 110′ tall ship engaged primarily in sail training and educational programming. Built in 1976, this reproduction of a Revolutionary War-era ship participates in educational programs for youth, sail training, re-enactments, corporate charters, and team-building programs throughout New England. The Providence carries a minimum crew of four professionals plus the captain and up to 49 passengers.
The Providence is seeking deckhands for the 2007 season, which will include participation in tall ship events in Newport, RI, and Halifax, Nova Scotia. A strong desire to educate youths and adults in a sail training environment is required, and previous tall ship sailing experience is preferred.
Apply by phone (401) 524-5608 or email (email@example.com) or fax (775-796-5344) to Ship’s Committee
Sloop Providence seeks a First Mate for the 2007 season, which will include participation in tall ship events in Newport, RI, and Halifax, Nova Scotia. Responsibilities include the management of 5-10 crew and volunteers while underway, performing drills, overseeing educational programs, and conducting maintenance and other shipboard duties under the direction of the captain. The successful candidate will possess the skills necessary to instruct crewmembers in proper marlinspike seamanship, oversee appropriate conduct on board, lead watches and lead by example during vessel related activities and projects. This person will possess a positive attitude, the ability to communicate clearly with the captain, crew and passengers as well as a desire to conduct sail training programs for middle and high school youths. Knowledge of traditional square rigging and/or diesel engine repair is a plus. A 100T USCG Inland Mate’s license with sail endorsement is preferred, but not required.
Apply by by phone (401) 524-5608 or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (775-796-5344) to Ship’s Committee
Sloop Providence seeks a Captain for the 2007 season, which will include participation in tall ship events in Newport, RI, and Halifax, Nova Scotia. The successful applicant will have:
* a strong background in traditional sailing vessels, as well as diesel repair and general ship maintenance skills;
* a positive attitude, be capable of working independently, and possess excellent organizational, leadership and teaching skills;
* the ability to communicate clearly with the crew, passengers, the general public and media
* experience in educational programs for middle and high school aged youth
Specific duties of the Captain include but are not limited to:
* responsibility for all aspects of vessel operation and maintenance in strict accordance with USCG regulations for Subchapter T vessels.
* management, supervision and training of professional crew and volunteers
* vessel maintenance and oversight of necessary repairs;
* fulfillment of vessel commercial obligations including charters and port appearances
* development and implementation of education programs;
* regular communication with the chairman of PMHF Board’s Ship Committee
* Limited grant writing, budget planning, and promotional activities.
This position requires a minimum 100T USCG Inland Masters license with sail endorsement.
Salary will be reflective upon experience. The post is Seasonal with possible extension into winter months.
Apply by phone (401) 524-5608 or by email (email@example.com) or fax (775-796-5344) to Ship’s Committee