On October 6, 2007, adventurer Jason Lewis returned to Greenwich, England, a city that he had left 13 years and 45,000 miles earlier, to become the first human powered solo circumnavigator of planet Earth. According to Wikipedia, Lewis:
- crossed the Atlantic and Pacific oceans in a wooden pedal boat;
- roller bladed across North America;
- kayaked from Australia to Singapore;
- biked from Singapore to the Himalayas;
- hiked through the Himalayas and
- pedaloed from Mumbai, India crossing the Indian Ocean to Djibouti.
Originally plans called a trip of 3.5 years; however, Lewis encountered a number of unanticipated challenges along the way including being struck by a car in Colorado inflicting two broken legs and 9 months of recovery, a crocodile attack and worst of all, a battle with self in suffering through a period of depression.